Tuesday 4 October 2016

Character Game Wrap up and Introductions

Hello friends,

So at the beginning of last month, I asked all of you to make guesses about a list of characters from Lady of Courage.

I got 11 answers and gathered some interesting information. First I'll share some stats and how many points people get. Then I'll actually tell you a bit about the characters.


So if I went with the popular vote on who filled each role I would have:

Rodrigo Baldini and Orsini Rizzetti as villains. They tied and 5 votes each. However, every man got at least one vote as villain. Considering I have complicated political intrigue going on, there really is more than one villain.

Justini Rizzetti as the Hero who marries Natalia. I had three people in second place, including Rodrigo Baldini again. Orsini Rizzetti was the only one who didn't get a vote.

And Valentina Orberti (who just happens to be the wife of Orsini Rizzetti) is the villainess. Eloisa Muertas was a close second, probably due to me forgetting that her last name is supposed to be spelled Murtas. There's a less close association with death that way.

Bettina Baldini was the only one nobody thought was the villainess, though she was labeled as spoiled mean chick.

Points:

I decided not to actually give numbers though I calculated them. Partly because I don't want people making deductions from them, and partly because wrong guesses are as helpful as right guesses.
But Alyssa Hollingsworth gets the most points for accuracy and the number of  helpful guesses. I just checked out her website and it looks like a really helpful one for writers. So since I can't really give a prize and I don't really know her, why don't all of you go over there and visit her?
Thank you, Alyssa.

The next most accurate person was an anonymous stranger, and then we have Sarah. Thank you both and thank you all. You have helped me determine that in general my names don't lean too strongly in any direction. I don't want my hero to be disliked because he sounds like a villain or my villain to be overly obvious.

About the characters:

Now I get onto the really fun stuff. I will tell you all why your guesses are inaccurate or ridiculous. And I might actually tell you who the villain is because it isn't really an important secret.

My protagonist is Natalia Rizzetti, heir to the top position in the Republic of Vecoa. That's a republic like Venice, not like our modern republics.
Rhesa

Celino Acqui is Natalia's stepfather. He's a nobleman and trading merchant. Cloe Neroni is her mother and a very good woman. Rhesa is a peasant girl who becomes Natalia's maid.

Justini is a second cousin of hers and is a count. The general opinion is that he only cares for parties and gaming, but his affairs are very well managed and he does always turn up if something important comes up in the council room and his wife is a contented woman.

Ivano and Taddio are a couple of Natalia's suitors. Rubina Falco is Ivano's mother and Lorenzo is her brother. He is a widower with a six year old daughter.

Eloisa

Eloisa Murtas is a cousin  and close friend of Natalia's. She's also the captain over a regiment of the guard and along with her husband Fausto is a council member. Luca Mondo is her brother-in-law and under her command.

Orsini Rizzetti and Valentina Orberti are Natalia's uncle and aunt. Aunt Valentina is also Taddio's aunt. You can guess where that might put her as far as meddling with who Natalia marries.

Rodrigo Baldini is a council man, with a very good eye for how to achieve what he thinks is best for everyone's interests. Bettina is his daughter. She's a bit silly, but Natalia considers her to be a friend.


Demetrio
And lastly we have Demetrio Pavone, the son of the Duke of Doranto. The sovereign Duchy of Doranto is a major sea power despite being quite small. Demetrio is another of Natalia's suitors, despite the fact that she's never liked him and turned him down immediately. So now he is trying his very best powers of persuasion, since a union would be of great benefit to both states.

There are other characters that I shall certainly mention later on. And I expect to add more as I write the book. To have political factions, intrigue and foreign politics, quite a number of characters are necessary.

Now next week I will probably be talking about current projects or writing in general, instead this shelved project I want to get back into it, but I can't focus on multiple projects and others are more demanding.

Thank you all again. If you want to add any more speculations about these characters, please do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. please. I'd love to know what you think about my ramblings.